Jun 18, 2014

Palm Bay, Fl

For Fathers Day weekend my parents and I drove up to Palm Bay, FL (about 15 mins. near the Indian River Lagoon, Sebastian and Melbourne areas) to do some clamming. I have been stressing to my dad about hunting for clams and/or oysters for some time now. From my research the Indian River Lagoon appeared to be loaded with shellfish.... yeah.... right..... about 2-3 years ago..... before a bunch of douch bags came and wiped the area out...... (seriously.. if any of you guys read this.. please note you guys ruined a girls dream and our weekend with your selfishness.. anyways..) Fishermen from NY, NJ and Maine wiped out the ENTIRE lagoon (which is a HUGE area by the way..) and its surrounding areas. Locals told us fishing boats literally rake out the sand and picked up everything, including under size clams and oysters (which were illegal by the way.. apparently they were harvest elsewhere). Now I know your wondering; wasn't there anything saying 'Hey, there's nothing here!'? Well, not really. All of the local info was and is up to date in regards to the shellfish. We weren't aware that the lagoon & its surrounding areas were cleaned out. There is hope out there, there are many areas open, there are shell fish out there.......... but best believe you would need the best of luck to find anything at all. Although no one gave us hope, we went clamming anyways (as seen below). I enjoy anything.... the cloudy sky, the little crabs running by me, the shell picking..... I try to make the best of everything. But as we digged down there was only shells or dead clams/oysters (which of course made my heart sad). Literally a bed (about a foot down) of shells and other dead oysters and clams. We were so disappointed!! We went to several other areas and ended up with the same result. We did something called 'in water clamming' compare to mud clamming (we wanted to do mud clamming, we never knew there was such thing as in water). We did get attacked by a huge blue crab and was able to get a few snails and one huge weird species of mussel/scallop (seen below).

Next time I am going to call a few fishing shops around our suggested hotel and see whats up with the clamming. Were also going to try it in a different area, with my brother & kids, and when the weather get's a but cooler. Hey.. it didn't hurt to try!

I have a tiny polyp inside of my gall bladder. My GB is also infected and it's wall is thickening (cholecystitis). Last Tuesday I had a real bad attack but I decided not to visit the doctor due to work and school. When I was out of town I had no problems until after 10am on Monday within 15 minutes of eating a meal. The pain got worse and worse throughout the day. Not only was I having shooting stabbing radiating pain on my right lower under my ribs, I also was experiencing severe heart burn and pain all throughout my abdomen. I'm pretty tough and I can deal with pain (except for fevers, that I can't handle). Anyways.. after almost passing out in Walmart I decided to visit the ER. I thought to myself many times "Well mom has been experiencing some stomach pain.. Maybe I got what she got. No.. I know my body. The heart burn is from the stupid acid reflux and those darn stomach ulcers. My intestines are problem inflame too, cruse you gastritis. But the extreme sharp stabbing pain in my gall bladder? Probably a gall stone, or its not functioning properly. What. The. Beep.

And of course I was right. But lets get back to me almost punching the doctor in the face. So I was taken in immediately (no one was there). My complaint was addressed and the doctor began to poke me around. Immediately he suspected gall bladder. But as he poked me around I almost knocked him out. Seriously dude.. if yah see me crying.. if yah see me moving and begging you to stop.. finally I had to say "If you poke or push down on my stomach one more damn time.." He then ask "Other then this, how are you feeling over all, Nicole?" "I feel like punching everyone in the face", was my response. Everyone thought I was funny........ I thought I wasn't....... Blood work, an ultrasound and CT scan was done. The ultrasound tech almost got knocked out too. I had to push the damn doopler off me as she pressed down into me like she was trying to tenderized her steak. I'm human, not a T-Bone or hamburger meat.

Hours later and some wonder drugs (seriously, that was best medical induced high I've eva eva had, thank you), the doctor comes in and says roughly "Well, I'm surprise it's not your gall bladder. You defiantly have gastritis and a few stomach ulcers." We then go on about that. But of course I must ask, not my gall bladder, seriously?? I saw the gall stone or tumor or something on the ultrasound. He then says "Well there is an issue with your GB. There's a 4 mm polyp located on the posterior wall of the GB and the lining wall is thickening. It does indicate possibly acute or chronic infection. But I believe you're fine. I'm just going to treat you for your acid." Yeah. Okay. Tell that to my deep stabbing continuously throbbing radiating pain. Tell that to the damn attacks that last 2 minutes. Tell that to my swollen stomach painful stomach. 

I was given Percocets and told to take it like a champ. After auguring with him for a good 10 minutes, I said fine and left it for what it was. I made an appointment with my doctor (cant go for another week) and he ask me if the ER physician was a rookie or an idiot. I told him neither. 

So now I'm stuck at my parents house like a big baby lying in bed all day catching up on T.V. shows I didn't know that exist. I've been in a lot of pain. Now its manageable. There is very minimal continuous pain. But I dunno when the worse is coming back, but's going to come. I'm just going to deal with it as long as I can but I am 100% if it gets really bad again. I just hate when common sense is not presented in medicine...............

On a lighter note, Palm Bay was the most weirdest town I've ever been in. Here's a list of remember-able occurrences I ran into:

  • The guy in the room next to us named his dog God Damn it. The adorable pup was running loose and I decided to make convo with the owner to stress how cute the dog was but the guy kept screaming "Come here, God Damn it! Come here damn it!" I then ask him what was his dogs name and he said "His name is God Damn it. Come here damn it." I then ask him where he was visiting from and he told me he lived at the hotel with his dog, God Damnit. O.O
  • The first day my dad was talking to a bridge. Yep. He ask the bridge about the best locations for clamming. I dragged him back to the car. We then found a park because apparently my dad said that was where the bridge told him to go. We visit the ranger station and, I kid you not, he said the following to the park ranger "Hey I was talking to the bridge over there and it told me to come over here cause these are where the clams are not too far from here up the road..." Weirdest thing is that up the road was the best spot to clamming...............
  • I over heard a girl talking about how she use to sneak into construction sites when she was 5 to steal bags of nails and when she was 11 she was in jail for stealing chicken breast. Seriously?
  • When I got pulled over for running a stop sign in a parking lot. SERIOUSLY. In a parking lot. That darn stop sign couldn't be seen from space. The cop thought I was funny "Dude.. Not even NASA themselves can see could see that sign behind that trash can..... A blind dog could have spotted it out before me..... I'm 100% legit. Here's my valid driver license, tag, insurance.. just note I'm from Miami and I seriously don't have time to come all the way up here if you give me a ticket and if I have to go to court." He laugh, verified everything and said "Well you made my day. I could tell you weren't around from here.. your tan and you didn't run." He let me go with no citation or ticket.    

I must go for now. I'm getting a tad bit sleepy. 

She doesn't look forward to the ride..

Was 158 miles from home..

Stormy weather everywhere in our state..

I can't blame her for the attitude.. 

The look on her face is priceless..

Sebastian Inlet

Sebastian Inlet

Sebastian Inlet

Sebastian Inlet

Sebastian Inlet

Indian River Lagoon


Snail - Indian River Lagoon

Indian River Lagoon

Indian River Lagoon

Indian River Lagoon

Indian River Lagoon

Indian River Lagoon

Indian River Lagoon

Indian River Lagoon

Indian River Lagoon

Snails and mussel/scallop species 

Palm Bay


My cold, sleepy baby..
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Oh Nicole, my mom had problems with the gallbladder, but she had a surgery, and she's now painless. I wish you all the best. I really like your black cat, so lovely (the last pic).

    xoxo

    Orianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you feel better soon and that they can finally get to the root of the problem! I hope it doesn't become chronic. And I think God damn it is the best name for a dog ever LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah I hope you start feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah I hope you start feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh, this is REALLY making me miss Florida right about now!! Beautiful photos!
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. florida looks amazing. i am so jealous!
    http://saltskinned.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  7. yes to beach day! glad that you had a good father's day and soooo glad to hear from you :)
    how you've been doing?

    ReplyDelete