Jun 1, 2012

Aunie Sauce

Hey everyone! I have here today the cute Annelise from her awesome little space called Aunie Sauce. If you haven't check her out yet you are defiantly in for a treat! She has been nice enough to share an awesome recipe for you all :). Enjoy!!

Hello! My name is Annelise and I blog at Aunie Sauce. I blog about daily happenings, faith, poetry, and my own personal style.





This is probably the ONLY recipe you will ever see coming from my blog.


I'm pretty well known for one fact about myself... I don't cook. I don't grill. I don't sauté, or stir fry, or whip up anything in the kitchen. But occasionally... I bake.


This past weekend, I made a banana cake (my family's famous recipe) for my brother's high school graduation party. It's basically the only thing I'm good at throwing together, because it's too simple NOT to get it right. So, I figured I may as well share it. Enjoy!


*********************

Aunie's Great Great Grandma's Banana Cake

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cups shortening (I use Crisco)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups flour (can sub gluten-free baking mix if you want!)
  • a dash of salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 or 4 very ripe bananas
    • Helpful hint: When my bananas get brown, I stick 'em in the freezer. After I accumulate a few (I always use 4 for this recipe), I take them out of the freezer, let them thaw until they're nice and mushy, and then add them to the mix. If they're not mushy and disgusting-looking as your squeeze them out of the totally brown peel... they just won't be as good. Trust me, they'll be gross. I included pictures just to emphasize their icky-ness.
Directions:
  1. Cream shortening and sugar
  2. Stir in eggs & vanilla, set aside
  3. Mix flour and salt, set aside
  4. Mash banana with soda, set aside
  5. Stir all mixtures together
  6. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan or 2 greased loaf pans
  7. Bake @ 325 for approximately 45 minutes
    1. If you use the "toothpick method" (where you stick a toothpick in the middle and pull it out to see if it's done) make sure it just comes out clean.
  8. Frost after it's cooled.
    1. My mom prefers this with cream cheese frosting, but I prefer butter cream, vanilla or of course rainbow chip.
    2. You can TOTALLY add nuts or chocolate chips if that's your thing. I think they're nasty... so no nuts for me!

This is my mom's favorite cake recipe. She always had it every year for her birthday as a kid. It's definitely MY favorite cake... maybe it's because it's the one I always grew up with... or maybe because it's the only one I know how to bake! 

Enjoy!! ♥ And come say hello!

Pin It

18 comments:

  1. love me some aunie! cake looks delish too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. Yum. Totally going to try this recipe@

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE banana cake- one of my favourite cakes to bake :D Love how it goes with your top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummm! and how cute are you!? love your curls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when recipes get passed down from generation to generation. Those are always the best!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not very fond of bananas, but then this looks very tasty :) I'm surely gonna try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE anything banana, which is why one of my nicknames is Banana. Well, that and that it rhymes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. omgosh YUM!! you know i cannot stand banana's but i'm obsessed with banana bread/cake!! i will definitely be trying out this recipe :)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. aw i just had to head over and say hey friend!!!!! sending some hugs your way today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. aw i just had to head over and say hey friend!!!!! sending some hugs your way today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i actually copied and pasted this recipe!!

    that's so not like me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you've gotta be joking me here, I LOVE BANANA cake! I have ripe banana's thawing right now to make banana bread tomorrow, welllllllllllll i'm making this instead!!!

    ReplyDelete